The fastest way to record videos for your Canvas course is to use Panopto Capture to record videos straight from your browser. Panopto Capture can record your webcam, microphone, PowerPoint slides, or anything else that you have on your screen.
Recording in Canvas using Panopto
To record a video for your course:
- Click Videos in the course navigation menu.
- Click Create to open the drop-down menu.
- Select Panopto Capture to open the recording tool in a new tab.
- Click the microphone icon to select your microphone. (Verify that it is working by speaking into the microphone and seeing if the waveform line moves as you speak. This is the grey wave line at the bottom of the player.)
- Click the webcam icon to select your webcam. (Some computers may have more than one camera connected.)
- Click the screens or applications icon to select any screens or applications that you want to record (such as your desktop, PowerPoint, or Keynote.)
- Click the red circle button to begin recording.
- A 5-second countdown will begin. During this time you can switch to your presentation such as your PowerPoint slides. Everything that is visible on your screen will be recorded.
- Click the red circle button again to stop the recording and begin uploading it to your course.
- The field that displays the Date and Time is the name of your recording. You can edit this to give it a different title.
- The field directly below opens a drop-down menu that lets you select the course where you want to place the recording. Make sure your correct course is selected.
- Click the play button at the bottom left of the player to preview your video while it is uploading.
Please note: In order for students to view your recording, you will need to embed it within a content Page in your Canvas course.
- Proceed to the How to Embed your Recording in Modules to Make it Available to Students article for instruction on how to complete that step.
- You also have the option of Editing Your Panopto Video before you embed and share with your students.
For a more in-depth overview of using Panopto Capture, you can refer to the How to Create a Video Using Panopto Capture article.