Security measures can be taken during a meeting to manage participants and remove unwanted and disruptive behavior.
Click on any of the links below to go straight to the section in this article.
- Begin the Meeting
- Manage the Waiting Room
- Mute Participants
- Limit Chat
- Shutdown Participant's Video
- New Zoom Security Toolbar
Begin the Meeting
Start the meeting a few minutes prior to the scheduled start time to allow for managing participants.
Manage the Waiting Room
As participants join the meeting, they will be placed in a waiting room and asked to wait to be admitted into the main room.
- To admit a participant who is waiting, simply click the “Admit” button.
- If you do not recognize a participant who is waiting, you can either leave them in the waiting room or click the “Remove” button.
Note that only hosts or co-hosts can move individuals from the waiting room to the class or meeting.
- Click Participants located in the meeting controls.
- Click Mute All to mute all current and new participants.
- (Optional) Check Allow participants to unmute themselves if you would like participants to be able to unmute at any time during the meeting.
- To unmute a participant, hover over the individual’s name in the participant window and click the "Unmute" button next to their name. The process is the same to return the participant to Mute.
- Next select "Chat" at the bottom of the Zoom meeting window.
- This will open a separate chat window. In the lower left-hand side of the chat window, you will see a box with an ellipsis (…). Click that box.
- Make sure "No one" is checked to prevent participants from chatting in the meeting. You can also select "Host only". This will only allow participants to chat with the host to protect against unwanted chatter among the group.
Shut Down Participant's Video
If you have a participant who starts their video and displays something objectionable, you can quickly terminate that user's video.
1. Open the Participants pane and locate the offender's name.
2. Click on the "More" button.
3. From the drop-down menu, select "Stop Video" or you can select "Remove."
- Stop Video does not remove the participant but does restrict their ability to restart their video. The host can restart that participant’s video if desired.
As a host, the best recommendation is to actively monitor participants and manage disruptive behavior.
Zoom Security Toolbar
In the Zoom navigation bar, you'll notice a new Security toolbar icon. Visible only to hosts and co-hosts of Zoom Meetings, the Security icon provides easy access to several existing Zoom security features so you can more easily protect your meetings.
By clicking the Security icon, hosts and co-hosts have an all-in-one place to quickly:
- Lock the meeting
- Enable the Waiting Room (even if it’s not already enabled)
- Remove participants
- Restrict participants’ ability to:
- Share their screens
- Chat in a meeting
- Rename themselves
- Annotate on the host’s shared content
Learn more by watching the overview video below: