You can record your Zoom meetings locally to your computer and upload the files directly into your Canvas course for students to access. This is a three-step process.
Click on any link below to go straight to the step in this article.
- Step One - Record Your Meeting
- Step Two - Access Your Recorded File
- Step Three - Upload Your Recorded File to Canvas
Note that a "Protecting Privacy and Data During Remote Instruction" statement has been added to the Additional Items section of the syllabus clarifying students' rights if Zoom sessions are recorded.
Step One - Record Your Meeting
- Start a Zoom meeting as the host.
- In the Zoom menu at the bottom of the screen, click “Record.”
- Your meeting is now recording. The following pop-up window will appear for your participants.
- The following recording indicator will appear in the top-left corner while recording is active.
- You can pause or stop a recording using the icons in the recording indicator mentioned above or you can click “Pause” or “Stop Recording” in the Zoom menu at the bottom of the screen.
- Participants will see the following indicator in the top-left corner while recording is active. Note that dial-in participants will hear a message informing them that the meeting is being recorded.
Step Two - Access Your Recorded File
- After the meeting has ended, Zoom will convert the recording so you can view the files.
- Once the conversion is complete, the folder containing the recorded files will open.
- Note by default:
- The audio/video file (mp4) will be named Zoom_0.mp4.
- The audio-only file (m4a) will be named audio_only.m4a.
You can rename the files once the conversion is complete directly from your computer.
Step Three - Upload Your Recorded File to Canvas
- Go to your Canvas course.
- Click “Videos” in your course navigation menu.
- Click the blue “Create” button.
- Select “Upload Media” from the drop-down menu.
- The following pop-up window will appear.
- Drag the recorded video or audio file from your computer and drop it into the center of the pop-up window. Your file will begin loading.
- A green checkmark will appear to the left of your file once the upload is complete.
- Click “X” to close the window.
- The file will now appear in the Videos area of your Canvas course. Note that students can access and watch the recordings via the same Videos area of your Canvas course.
Do NOT upload Zoom recordings to any other area of your course. All Zoom recordings must be uploaded to your course Videos area.
If you experience any issues recording your meetings, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.