Panopto offers the option to add Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR) generated captions to videos. Captions provide a visual representation of the video content and can be shown or hidden during playback.
By default, Panopto will automatically generate captions for each video that is created. While Panopto generated captions are relatively accurate, you do have the option to review and edit these captions.
Edit Automatic Captions
To edit the Panopto generated captions:
- In the course navigation menu, click Videos.
- Hover over the video that you want to edit, and click the three dots Settings icon.
- From the drop-down menu, select Edit (pencil icon).
- In the sidebar menu to the left, click Captions.
- Find the point in the transcript that you wish to edit. Click in the text field and type your changes.
- If you are satisfied with how your captions appear, select Apply at the top right of the screen to save your changes.
Search Video By Captions
Once a video’s closed captions have been created, students will be able to search the video by the closed captioned index text that appears. They can also jump to a section of the video by clicking directly on the text in the captions transcript.
To search for text, use the keyboard shortcut Command+F on Apple computers or Control+F on Windows.
- At the top left of the screen, you will see a search bar. Type the words that you want to search.
- Panopto will search the captions for words you have entered and show you the results. Review the results and select the instance that you want.