Panopto enables easy video editing directly from your browser. It offers a non-destructive editing feature, allowing you to remove unwanted parts of your recordings while retaining the ability to add them back if needed. This ensures that your original recording remains intact, giving you confidence in the editing process.
Common editing tasks include removing the beginning and end of your recording when turning the video on or off, as well as cutting out any mistakes or stumbling over words. Panopto makes all of this easy to do!
Click the tabs below and follow each step to edit a Panopto video.
Step One: Open the Panopto Video Editor
To edit your Panopto video:
- In the course navigation menu, click Videos.
- Hover over the video that you want to edit, and click the three dots.
- From the drop-down menu, select Edit (pencil icon).
This will open the video in a new tab in your browser for editing.
Step Two: Prepare the Video for Editing
The video timeline will appear at the bottom of the editor. It consists of a series of thumbnails of your video in a separate row for each stream that was recorded.
Before you begin to edit the video, change the title of your video:
- Click on the title bar and update the text. When you are finished, click Enter on your keyboard.
Step Three: Edit the Video
- To watch the video, click the Play button.
a. A red vertical bar will move along the timeline.
b. A progress bar and time indicator can help you navigate your recording.
- To pause the video at any point, click the Pause button or use the spacebar on your keyboard to stop and start the playback of your recording.
- Click on the Scissors icon.
a. Ensure the Preview cuts during playback checkbox is checked. This allows you to see in real time what the video will look like if a section is trimmed out.
- To select sections of your recording that you want to remove, click and drag on the timeline. The grayed out sections will become invisible to students as they are "muted" or "removed.” Play your video to see if you are satisfied with the edits.
- To adjust the size of the edit (how much of the highlighted area is displayed), mouse over the ends of the grayed out section until your cursor becomes a double-headed arrow. Next, click and drag the highlighted section into a bigger or smaller area.
- To remove the edit, click and drag one side of the grayed section over to the other side of the gray space. When the lines overlap, that edit or gray space will disappear.
- Once you are happy with your edits, click Apply to save the changes. The video will begin to process. Once it has finished processing, the video edits will be saved.
For a more in-depth look at other editing features please take a look at the Panopto documentation located here.