To make your Panopto video accessible to students, you need to embed it into your Canvas course. Embedding allows the video to play directly from the published page it's integrated into. You can embed Panopto videos in various areas of your course, such as Announcements, Pages, Assignments, Quizzes, and Discussions.
Remember to provide a brief summary or context before embedding the video. This helps students understand its relevance and encourages their engagement.
Click the tabs below and follow each step to embed a Panopto video into your Canvas course.
Step One: Select the Page and Add Context
To embed your Panopto video recording onto a Canvas course content page:
- In the course navigation menu, click Modules.
- Select the page where you would like to embed your video.
- At the top right of the page, click Edit.
- Click on the text input field and move the flashing text cursor to where you would like to place your video.
- To frame the video that students will be watching, add context to the page.
This can include:
- An introduction, overview, explanation, or summary of the video.
- Questions for students to consider before watching the video.
Typical context frames the resource for students:
- What the student will engage with?
- Why is the resource or information helpful?
- How can students use the information moving forward?
Step Two: Embed Your Video
- Click directly in the text field where you would like to place your video.
- In the Rich Content Editor, click the green Panopto icon.
- A pop-up window will appear. Select the Panopto folder (your Canvas course folder) where your recording was made and is located. (If you have yet to record a video, read the Record Course Video Content using Panopto guide first.)
- Click directly on the video thumbnail to select the video that you would like to embed on the page. Make sure the circle to the left of the thumbnail is filled to indicate that the video is selected.
- Click Insert.
- You should now see your video appear directly on your content page.
- At the bottom of the page, click Save & Publish to ensure the page itself is published and visible to students.