Panopto Capture is available in your Canvas course and provides a quick way to record video, audio, presentation slides, and your computer screen.
Click the tabs below and follow each step to record a video using Panopto.
Step One: Access and Launch Panopto Capture
To access Panopto Capture in your Canvas course:
- In the course navigation menu, click Videos.
- At the top right, click Create.
- From the drop-down menu, click Panopto Capture.
This will open a new Panopto Capture browser tab with the following menu options available:
- Audio: where you can select microphones for the recording.
- Video: where you can select video sources for the recording.
- Screens and Apps: where you can select screens or applications for the recording.
- Settings Wheel: where you can select additional settings for the recording.
- Record: the button that you will use to start and stop the recording.
Step Two: Select a Microphone
Panopto will automatically select a microphone for you. If you are comfortable with Panopto's selection, skip forward to Step Three.
If you want to use a different microphone:
- In the top menu toolbar, click Audio.
- Each microphone connected to your computer will appear. Click the desired microphone and a checkmark will appear over it.
- To add or switch to a different audio source, hover over the audio source. Click Switch or Add.
Tip: Test Your Microphone Before Recording
Once you select your microphone, test it by speaking at a regular volume. The audio bar to the left of the microphone should show green feedback as you speak. If yellow or red feedback appears, the video's audio may be distorted. If no feedback appears, the microphone is not picking up the audio.
Step Three: Select a Camera Source
Panopto will automatically select a camera source for you. If you are comfortable with Panopto's selection, skip forward to Step Four.
To select a different camera:
- In the top menu toolbar, click Video.
- Each connected camera to your computer will appear. Click the desired camera(s) and a checkmark will appear over the preview.
Please Note: The first camera selected, automatically or manually, is used as the primary video source. Secondary cameras appear with the option to either switch to them for the recording or to add them as a secondary video source.
Step Four: Establish Your Recording Settings
To prep recording settings:
- At the bottom right, click the Settings icon.
- Under Recording Options, select Ultra HD. (If Ultra HD causes issues with your computer such as video stuttering or computer lag, change this option to HD.)
Please note: You only have to set recording options one time per computer.
Important: Do Not Use or Change Any Other Settings
Do not use backgrounds or smart camera options. These features are not up to the quality and appropriateness of your course and you may have to recreate videos if these options are used.
Step Five: Select Your Screens or Apps
Panopto gives you the ability to record yourself along with your computer screen, individual browser, or application window (such as PowerPoint or Keynote). If you do not plan to record any screens or presentations, skip forward to Step Six.
Otherwise, follow these steps to enable screen capture recording:
- In the top menu toolbar, click Screens or Apps.
The Choose what to share window will appear with the option to select between a screen, application, or browser tab. Click the links below to explore your preferred option.
Option A: Browser Tab
This option allows you to select an open internet browser tab to record. (In this example, we are using a Chrome browser.)
To record a browser tab:
- Select the specific tab from the list that you would like to record.
- To record audio from the site, check Share tab audio.
- Click Share.
Option B: Window
This option allows you to record a single application window, such as PowerPoint or Keynote.
To record your application window:
- Select the application. (In this example, we have selected PowerPoint.)
- Click Share.
Please Note: For Windows users, Panopto will record PowerPoint slides as video when the presentation is put into slideshow mode. For Mac users, you will need to ensure the KeyNote slideshow is started in the option under the screen in Capture.
Option C: Entire Screen
This option allows you to record everything that occurs on your entire computer screen.
To record your computer screen:
- Select your screen.
- To record the audio coming from your screen, check Share tab audio. (Please Note: This option is not present for MAC users.)
- Click Share.
Step Six: Record Your Video
To begin recording:
- At the bottom center of the Panopto Capture, click the Record button.
You will see a 5-second countdown on the screen. During this time you can switch to your presentation slides, if applicable.
- To stop the recording at any time, click the Record button.
Your video will immediately begin to upload. To the top right, Panopto will indicate "Getting your video ready for editing" and you will see it buffer to completion.
Do not close the Panopto Capture browser tab until the upload is complete.
From this same window, you can complete a variety of tasks.
- To view the video directly from the window, click Play and use the video controls.
- To add a title to the video, replace the title in the text field.
- To add a description for the video, enter the description in the text field.
- To edit the video, click Edit.
- To preview the video using the Panopto video player, click View.
- To recreate the video, click Redo.
- To start a new video recording, click Record New.
Embed Your Video For Students (Required)
In order for students to view your recorded video, you must embed the video directly into a Content Page in your Canvas course.