Panopto allows you to make edits to your videos right from your browser. These edits are easily reversible, allowing you to undo changes if necessary.
Accessing Panopto's Editor
- In your Canvas course menu, click Videos.
- Move your mouse over the name of the video that you want to edit. Click on the Edit button  with the pencil icon.
Panopto is what we refer to as a subtractive editor. This means that only sections of your video can be removed such as a silence or you getting setup or finished at the beginning or end of your recording. Anything "removed" or highlighted out is not permanently removed from your actual recording. This means that this editor is non destructive, so have no fears or apprehensions about ruining your original recording. Follow these steps to use the Trim tool to remove sections of your video:
Applying Your Edit
- Click the Play button (1) to watch your video and locate the point that you want to edit. You will also see a progress bar and time indicator to help you navigate your recording. Notice how you can also use the space bar on your keyboard to stop or start the playback to your recording.
- Click on the Scissors tool (2). Make sure the box is checked next to the words "Preview cuts during playback." This will allow you to see in real time what your video will look like if you trim a section out.
- Click and drag on the timeline (3) to select sections of your recording that you want to remove. The grayed out sections will become invisible to students as they are "muted" or "removed" out. You can use the playback to see if you are happy with these cuts.
- Click Apply (4) to save your changes. Note again, that the editor is non-destructive, and your changes can always be reverted if needed. To adjust the size of the edit (how much the highlighted area highlights) simply mouse over the ends of the grayed out section until your cursor becomes a double headed arrow. You will then be able to click and drag the highlighted section into a bigger or smaller area. If you want it to disappear completely just click and drag one side of the grayed section over to the other side of the gray space. Once the lines overlap that edit or gray space will disappear.
- After applying your changes to your video (4) the video will need to process again, but will appear published in your course once finished.
For a more in-depth look at other editing features please take a look at the Panopto documentation located here.