Canvas Discussions enable communication (text-based and more!) between two or more participants, like students and instructors. You can use a Discussion so you all can share Biographical Introductions.
Let’s enter the Modules section and try it!
Create a Discussion
1. Click the “+” icon.
2. Select “Discussion” (2) from the dropdown menu.
3. Select “New Topic” (3), give the Discussion a name (4), and select “Add item” (5).
Configure a Discussion
1. Click directly on the Discussion name (1).
2. Select “Edit” (2)
3. Here you can:
- Edit the title of the Discussion (3)
- Add your Discussion questions to the body of the Discussion (4)
We recommend typing:
- A question or request (4).
- Expectations for the students’ initial post (4).
- A peer response question that indicates how students are to respond to one another (4).
4. Scroll down to see more options (and to Save!).
- Click “Allow Threaded Replies” to enable branching discussions. (5)
- Click “Graded” to make this a Graded Discussion (6). Enter your Points next to “Points Possible” (6).
- Click “Save” (7).
Note: You do not need to click “Group Discussion” for interaction. This is only for if Canvas Groups are made and would like a Discussion confined to those Groups subsets.